top of page

The Brain, The Controller of All

by Arjun menon




The brain is a complex organ that controls thoughts, memory, emotion, touch, motor skills, vision, breathing, temperature, hunger and every process that occurs in our body.


The brain weighs about 1.4kg in an average adult, the brain is 60% fat, and the remaining 40% is a combination of water, protein, carbohydrates and salts. The brain itself is not a muscle. It contains blood vessels and nerves, including neurons and glial cells. There about 86 billion neurons in the human brain.


The brain has been divided into three main parts:




CEREBRUM: Is the largest part of the brain and is composed of right and left hemispheres. It performs higher functions like touch, vision, hearing, speech, emotions, learning and control of movement.


CEREBELLUM: It is located under the cerebrum. Its functions is to coordinate muscle movements, maintain posture, and balance.


BRAINSTEM: The brainstem connnects the cerebrum and the cerebellum to the spinal cord. It performs automatic functions such as breathing, heart rate, body temperature, digestion, etc.



Right brain and the Left brain :



The cerebrum is divided into two halves, the right and left hemispheres. They are joined by a bundle of fibers called the corpus callosum that transmits the messages from one side to the other. Each hemispheres controls the opposite side of the body. So for example if you get a stroke on the right side of your brain, your left arm or leg may be weak or paralyzed.

In general the left hemisphere controls speech, arithmetic, and writing. The right hemisphere controls creativity, artistic skills, and musical skills.



The 4 Major Lobes of The Brain




Frontal lobe: The frontal lobe of the brain is loacted and the front of the brain, it is responsible for voluntary movement, expressive language and higher level functions.


Parietal lobe: The parteial lobe is located near the back and top of the head, it responsible for processing somatosensory information from the body such as touch, pain, temperature, and the sense of limb position


Temporal lobe: The temporal lobe is located behind the ears and is the second largest lobe, They are responsible in processing emotions, language and certain aspects of visual perception.


Occipital lobe: The occipital lobe sit at the back of the head and are resposible for identifying colors, form and motion.



Sources


Brain Anatomy and How the Brain Works

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org


Anatomy of the Brain - Mayfield Clinic

https://mayfieldclinic.com



Anatomy of the Brain - Mayfield Clinic

https://mayfieldclinic.com


https://youtu.be/nYiSFKlxSU4


https://youtu.be/ndDpjT0_IM0


https://youtu.be/kMKc8nfPATI








bottom of page